From The Army Chaplains Museum, Ft. Jackson, SC

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Look, a Bentley...and no, I'm not talking about Dierks!

As I made the turn onto South Germantown Rd. my eyes were drawn to the left. Now, I guess I should tell you that I like cars. My Dad worked for GM during the glory days of the sixties and I could not get enough of big American V-8 motors. There was no better way to spend time than with my Dad when we would go to the dealership after hours so he could do some work and I would have free rein to drool over those beautiful Oldsmobiles with their Rocket V-8 power (positive valve rotators anyone?). Later, I hated the advertising slogan "This is not your father's Oldsmobile" -- there was nothing wrong with my father's Oldmobile thank you very much!

I still long for the days when new model year introductions were a big deal; cars covered with sheets until the official day of release, storage lots full of new models locked away from prying eyes, and gala open houses at the dealerships. While I liked the sporty models (and my dream car is a 1970 Oldsmobile 4-4-2 with the W-30 package) I always liked the big cars, with big V-8s, cars that could "cross continents at pace" as the Bentley website says.

Which brigs me back to where I started. As I sat at the traffic light my eyes were drawn left by the unmistakable silouhette of a large touring sedan. At first I thought it was a Rolls-Royce, but as I focused in on it that unmistakable mesh grille gave it away. A new Bentley, and a convertible no less. Wow, that's one of the new Azure T models I thought to myself and as I made the turn it wasn't but a minute before it was beside me, the "Le Mans inspired front wing vents" clearly visible to my left and the deep tinted glass keeping the prying eyes of the world away from the sumptuously sequestered occupants.

However, to my pleasant surprise, I did not find myself as envious as I once would have. We went different directions at the next intersection and as I made the turn I actually heard myself saying, "Isn't that a waste."  As I drove further, trying to decide how I felt (my earlier comment had seemingly come out of left field) I realized that I felt sad. Sad for the values that allow us to spend almost $400,000 on a car. Now, the owner might be a great Christian, tithing ten-percent and maybe more. I don't know. But I do know that, despite the allure of the prosperity gospel, we are to set the example as stewards of God's gifts. If we live our lives to excess should we be surprised that young people see us as hypocritical and want no part of our church?

This is yet another example of John Wesley's wisdom when, in his sermon "on the use of money" he said: "The fault does not lie in the money, but in them that use it. It may be used ill: and what may not? But it may likewise be used well: It is full as applicable to the best, as to the worst uses."  So, as much as I love cars, the Bentley has to be placed in the "worst" use column. Maybe the tittle of this post should have been "Should all United Methodists drive Chevrolets?". I don't know if the answer is yes, but I do know that there are far too many of us that aren't walking in the way that we talk.

In closing let us listen again to John Wesley: "If, then, a doubt should at any time arise in your mind concerning what you are going to expend, either on yourself or any part of your family, you have an easy way to remove it. Calmly and seriously inquire,

(1) In expending this, am I acting...not as a proprietor, but as a steward of my Lord's goods?

(2) Am I doing this in obedience to his Word? In what Scripture does he require me so to do?

(3) Can I offer up this action, this expense, as a sacrifice to God through Jesus Christ?

(4) Have I reason to believe that for this very work I shall have a reward at the resurrection of the just?"

At this hour, and from this hour, do his will: Fulfil his word, in this and in all things! I entreat you, in the name of the Lord Jesus, act up to the dignity of your calling! No more sloth! Whatsoever your hand findeth to do, do it with your might! No more waste! Cut off every expense which fashion, caprice, or flesh and blood demand! ... employ whatever God has entrusted you with, in doing good, all possible good, in every possible kind and degree to the household of faith, to all men! This is no small part of "the wisdom of the just." Give all ye have, as well as all ye are, a spiritual sacrifice to Him who withheld not from you his Son, his only Son: So "laying up in store for yourselves a good foundation against the time to come, that ye may attain eternal life!"

Now, if I could just find that verse that says I need a Bentley.......

No comments: