From The Army Chaplains Museum, Ft. Jackson, SC

Thursday, December 27, 2007

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year

Just checking in. Goal for my new year is to get serious about this blog thing. I am motivated for several reasons, not the least of which is a comment I read from a friend in their Christmas letter. In it they shared that he had "finally joined the Catholic church" and went on about how involved he was. They added, however, "not to worry, he still has his progressive views and politics."

What does that mean?

Is that like being somewhat pregnant? Or perhaps like getting your drivers license and immediately saying you aren't going to follow the rules? I think it means to some degree that the decision is more about himself than it is about 'the church.' He's joining because it fits his schedule, his plan, and his desires and he's going to do only that which he's comfortable with.

But is that how we join an organization? Let me rephrase that: is that how we should join an organization? I know from experience that's what many people do but that doesn't make it right. And it certainly isn't overly beneficial for the organizations that get less-than-committed members as a result.

Anyway, life is too short not to take what we do seriously. So, I'm in the process of sorting through what I'm "doing" and deciding what I can be serious about and what will have to be pitched out with all the other flotsam.

Lastly, read two good books in the last week: First, John Grisham's latest "The Innocent Man" which will make you think. Second, Clarence Thomas' autobiography "My Grandfather's Son" which will alsom make you think. I recommend both.

No comments: