I suspect that many of you have heard the saying "the best defense is a good offense." Indeed, as a military man that was heard often in discussions of tactics and strategy. It is not important right now to discuss who said it (or how many variations of the same thought there are). What is important however, is to stop and ask ourselves if this is the strategy we take when talking with God?
I am prompted to this line of inquiry today after looking through book and curriculum catalogs and being struck by the number of texts out there that basically take that approach.
What are we afraid of? Why do we have to put God on the defensive all the time? Why is it always about us...Me...?
God, why did you do so and so?
Why did you allow such and such?
Will you please do this or that?
Man, I believe the omnipotent thing, but I bet there are times God wishes the cellphone had call-block on it. I suspect the following is true: we steadily ASK God questions so we don't have time to hear the questions directed TO us:
Neville, why aren't you feeding the hungry?
Church, why aren't you taking care of the least of these?
People, it is time to stop and listen to the questions God has for us. We need to turn off the transmitter and go into "receive only" mode. Listen to the words from Amos, "When was the last time you sang to me? Do you know what I want? I want justice - oceans of it. I want fairness - rivers of it. That's what I want. That's all I want." (Amos 5:23b-24, The Message)
Peace.
No comments:
Post a Comment