As I was doing my reading and Bible study this morning I came across the following quote. It was not attributed to any particular author so I share it here as "Anonymous."
"Never allow someone to be your priority while allowing yourself to be their option."
Hmmmm. When I first read it I thought "yeah, that's the ticket," and was all set to run out and share it on Facebook, as if it was a nugget of wisdom. But as I thought about it I realized there is a fatal flaw in that statement, one that is particularly dangerous for those of us who would claim to be "Christians."
Did you catch the flaw? Or, were you like me at first? I mean, c'mon, that makes perfect sense doesn't it? Don't spend your time and effort on a person who is not going to reciprocate:
"Boy, that's the last time we're having them over for anything! We keep asking them yet they have never invited us to their place."
"Nobody has let me into the traffic so, darn it all, I'm not letting that guy get in front of me even if his life depended on it!"
Oh how easy it is for us humans to put ourselves first, and to justify our poor treatment of others as somehow justified. But Jesus called us to a better way. A way that is, in fact, the exact opposite of that opening statement.
"I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another."(John 13:34-35, NRSV)
So, forget that opening statement and remember the words of Jesus instead.
Love one another!
No comments:
Post a Comment