Well, day one and pretty cool. Got a note from my best high-school bud and one from my brother. Not bad since I don't hear from either of them enough.
Thought for the night is about church and 'organized religion' and how that all squares with the instructions in the Bible about not worrying about tomorrow, going out with no money in your belt or a change of clothes. Why, might you ask, such a thought. Well, just finished a finance committee meeting. We discussed financial statements, liabilities & assets, need for accuracy in reporting, next year's budget, etc., etc., etc. Now, I know the temporal concerns of the church have to be addressed but if you're not careful the temporal can quickly overrun the spiritual. I guess I'm just wondering about balance and about squaring belief with practice.
In James 4 he says "And now I have a word for you who brashly announce, 'Today - at the latest tomorrow - we're off to such and such a city for the year. We're going to start a business and make a lot of money.' You don't know the first thing about tomorrow. You're nothing but a wisp of fog, catching a brief bit of sun before disappearing. Instead, make it a habit to say, 'If the Master wills it and we're still alive, we'll do this or that.'
No comments:
Post a Comment